- Continental ranked in top 18 and the only manufacturing company on the prestigious Fortune Magazine list
- Employees encouraged to innovate for their company, community and beyond
- A tragedy touches close to home, spurs a potentially life-saving innovation
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Feb. 18, 2020 — Some companies strive to be a "best place to work" by following the latest workplace trends, such as furnishing offices with things like foosball tables and in-office spas, to try and keep employees happy. Other companies go beyond perks, forming a culture that supports passions and purpose – giving their employees time and tools to innovate solutions that impact society. Technology company Continental is one such purpose-driven enterprise, and Fortune Magazine has just named it one of the 18 Best Big Companies to Work For™ and the only manufacturing company to make the prestigious list.
"We strive to attract employees who are committed to making the world a better place. We give our employees the freedom to act and empower them with opportunities to learn, grow and meet their professional and personal goals," said Samir Salman, CEO of Continental North America. "We are honored to join an impressive list of employee-focused organizations as one of the Best Big Companies to Work For™."
Continental is filled with stories of high-achieving employees serving their communities as well as the company. Two examples:
- Last year, a personal tragedy that involved a wrong-way driver killing an entire family hit close to home for a Continental employee. Jonathan Stone, head of Programs for Research and Advanced Engineering at Continental, knew the family and turned his grief into action. With the company’s support, Stone and his team developed technology that warns drivers through a dashboard or mobile alert whenever a nearby car is driving the wrong way. Crashes involving wrong-way drivers are among the most catastrophic, averaging more than one fatality per crash. This potentially life-saving technology is now being piloted in Auburn Hills, Michigan as part of a Smart City Mobility and Transportation Hub.
- Kabir Maiga, a former Continental engineer that worked on keyless entry technology for vehicles, got an idea at work one day to develop a keyless home-entry system. He pitched the idea to Continental via its co-pace startup program and now, with the company’s backing, Kabir is the founder of his own company, PassiveBolt, located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Unique opportunities like these make Continental an employer of choice for innovators and visionaries. Its employees impact the future of mobility in three ways: environmentally, economically and socially. Stone, Maiga and other purpose-driven employees at Continental are available for interviews.
"At Continental, we’re committed to our employees and proud of the ideas they bring to work," said Rick Ledsinger, senior vice president of Human Relations, Continental North America and Tire the Americas. "Their passion drives Continental forward and inspires us to continue to make our company an enjoyable, exciting and fulfilling place to work. From our co-pace program, to tuition reimbursement, Software Academy and our investment in diversifying and retooling our workforce, Continental is leading the way for technology employers."
For consideration on Fortune's Best Big Companies to Work For™ list, companies must employ at least 1,000 employees in the United States and at least 100,000 employees globally. To determine the list, research firm Great Place to Work surveys employees about working conditions and the ability to reach their full potential. In addition to these experiences, the process reviews workforce make-up, size, and industry and regional standards to create the final list.
Continental has earned several national workplace recognitions. These include a place on Forbes’ America’s 2019 Best Employers and America’s 2019 Best Employers for Diversity lists, as well as multiple-year placements among Fortune Magazine’s Most Admired Companies. In 2019, Continental was recognized by Fairygodboss as one of the Best Companies for Women. These recognitions are a testament to Continental’s continuous commitment to creating a progressive workplace environment for its employees worldwide.
Continental employs more than 240,000 people in 60 countries, all working to provide clean, connected and smart mobility – increasing safety, efficiency, comfort and convenience. If you are passionate about sharing your ideas, creating new products, igniting change and showing initiative to reach your goals, visit www.continental.com/careersus.
Continental develops pioneering technologies and services for sustainable and connected mobility of people and their goods. Founded in 1871, the technology company offers safe, efficient, intelligent, and affordable solutions for vehicles, machines, traffic and transportation. In 2018, Continental generated sales of €44.4 billion and currently employs more than 240,000 people in 60 countries and markets.